Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Art of Letting Go - Reverb Prompt 5


Prompt 5 - Let Go


 Let Go. What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why? (Author: Alice Bradley)

This is a compelling topic. I often feel that knowing when to let go and when  to hang on is truly an art form. Some people are born with an abundance of this talent. And some people (moi?) are blessed with other gifts. However, I believe that everyone can learn this. I am getting better at recognizing the appropriate choice as I move into new stages of my life.

This year I worked on letting go of anxiety, freeing myself from panic and fear. This is something I struggle with on a near daily basis. I started having panic attacks shortly after I finished chemotherapy in 2003. For about a year, fear ruled my life. Over time, I've learned different kinds of coping mechanisms and relaxation techniques to help stop the panic. As a direct result, my anxiety has gotten increasingly better over the years. This year, was the best year yet. I accept that I may never be free from anxiety but I can learn to let it go when it creeps into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment