Saturday, December 4, 2010

Catching Up On Reverb 10

I've really been enjoying the daily prompts from Reverb 10. The past couple of days have been very busy on the work side and I haven't been able to capture my thoughts here on the blog. But I have been ruminating on each prompt, formulating my mental response. I'm excited to share.

Prompt 2 - Writing

What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it? (Author: Leo Babauta)

This one was simple and easy to identify - television. Watching tv is the single biggest time suck in my life. I know that I need to find better balance in my life between work, creativity, family and personal. I used to be very adept at setting priorities in each of these areas and sticking to them. And let me tell you, parking myself in front of the idiot box wasn't a big part of that scene. But little by little over the past several years, I've given up on many of these areas and allowed "relaxing" to move unchecked  into the forefront of my life. That something I am hoping to change in the coming year.

Prompt 3 - Moment

Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors). (Author: Ali Edwards)

I loved this prompt. The past year was intense, filled with change, growth and renewed love in all. I identified several momentous events that occurred over the past year and then honed in the perfect one. I chose to address this prompt within my art journal so I could better illustrate the colors, textures and feelings. Since this event is deeply personal to my family, I am choosing not to share the completed page on my blog. But I encourage you to do something creative with this prompt as well.

Prompt 4 - Wonder

Wonder. How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year? (Author: Jeffrey Davis)

As time moves forward, I admit that I find it more and more difficult to maintain my sense of wonder, particularly in the face of the increasingly negative tone the seems so prevalent in today's society. I have also noticed that the greater the personal challenge in my own life, the less I am able to muster up any feelings of wonder whatsoever. But I have also learned that the best way to regain positivity and hope during these times is to find the wonder.

I personally believe the key to cultivating a sense of wonder is through imagination and curiosity. Keep an open mind. Developing a keen eye toward the new and different. Practice tolerance. Appreciate the little things. Notice your surroundings. And don't forget to ask questions. 

Explore. 

Read. 

Learn.

Play.

No comments:

Post a Comment